Hows it going ?

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Hows it going ?

Postby ScriptWolf » 20 Jan 2011 19:21

Hey was just wonderin how the game is coming along ? And are we close to getting some alpha code? :D , and how will the aloha code be published ? Will it be sent through email or posted on the website? Andddd I can't wait for this game!!, when a alpha does come out I take it you will be wanting lots of feed back and suggestions.
ScriptWolf

Re: Hows it going ?

Postby kubluu » 21 Jan 2011 00:19

It's humming along.
I just did a major revamp to the terrain representation which affected almost all the movement and pathfinding code, but it seems to have settled now.
I have a few model assets (a new vehicle and a character animation) from the artist that I need to test out, because they involve attachment of other models (a man in a driving seat and a carrying animation), which is something we haven't done before.
Then I'll be finishing the region map algorithm and incorporating that into the AI evaluator. After that it's probably some more work on minor systems such as item degradation, composite items and the skill system. I also have to think about doing the XNA 4.0 upgrade at some point.

So that's some of the stuff ahead on the programming side.

Regarding game design, I have been thinking about a system for managing expeditions, outposts and so on within the local map. Maybe I will post a description of this feature on our web site at some point.
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby RichardtheBeheader » 21 Jan 2011 00:43

That's quite interesting, what would these expeditions be focused on exactly? Research or food gathering or something of a similar nature?

Good to know you got the pathfinding and movement code sorted out, the game will be better for it I'm sure. Can't wait to see what new features you'll be adding and how the game will be developing.
RichardtheBeheader

Postby kubluu » 21 Jan 2011 01:01

Well the basic problem is this.

The characters will normally not go into the wilderness, and they will only go as far away as to be home by nightfall.
But the player wants to do things like geological surveys, scientific expeditions etc. far from the main colony.
So how to entice the characters to take up jobs and tasks that lie a long/dangerous distance from their home, and to stay there (keeping in mind that the player cannot order the characters around).

I have a system in mind that ensures that these jobs get filled and supplies and resources can be distributed as well. I want it to be handled in an elegant way that is similar to how it works when the initial expedition gets under way. There should be as few special cases or "gamey" rules as possible. I will probably write some more on it later...
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby ScriptWolf » 21 Jan 2011 12:05

hmm cool sounds good :) keep us informed on whats going on through this thread?.

also wondering how will vehicles work? and will vehicles be pre made ( as in we hae no choice in how thier built) or will we be able to decide what parts are used e.g. using solar palnes for a source of power.

And any chance of a few more teaser or gameplay videos ? im dieing to see some more >,<
ScriptWolf

Postby Taricus » 21 Jan 2011 12:49

kubluu wrote:Well the basic problem is this.

The characters will normally not go into the wilderness, and they will only go as far away as to be home by nightfall.
But the player wants to do things like geological surveys, scientific expeditions etc. far from the main colony.
So how to entice the characters to take up jobs and tasks that lie a long/dangerous distance from their home, and to stay there (keeping in mind that the player cannot order the characters around).

I have a system in mind that ensures that these jobs get filled and supplies and resources can be distributed as well. I want it to be handled in an elegant way that is similar to how it works when the initial expedition gets under way. There should be as few special cases or "gamey" rules as possible. I will probably write some more on it later...

I think a possible solution would be to use a temporary shelter/vehicle for the colonist whilst they are away from the colony as well as taking a few days rations (the amount decided by how long the task will take) and maybe a weapon if near unreseached/dangerous fauna.
Taricus

Postby kubluu » 22 Jan 2011 17:11

ScriptWolf wrote:also wondering how will vehicles work? and will vehicles be pre made ( as in we hae no choice in how thier built) or will we be able to decide what parts are used e.g. using solar palnes for a source of power.

Construction in general doesn't allow (=require) you to pick out the specific parts to use, because this gets annoying quickly.
But it is possible to customize your construction in other ways, such as the paint color on vehicles and certain addons like special cargo bays and autonomous steering.

ScriptWolf wrote:And any chance of a few more teaser or gameplay videos ? im dieing to see some more >,<

Yes, we plan to make some gameplay videos "soon".
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby kubluu » 24 Jan 2011 15:18

Taricus wrote:
I think a possible solution would be to use a temporary shelter/vehicle for the colonist whilst they are away from the colony as well as taking a few days rations (the amount decided by how long the task will take) and maybe a weapon if near unreseached/dangerous fauna.

Yes, they should be able to equip themselves suitably, with tools, weapons and also supplies. This is good for the shorter term, and can be handled by the AI.

For more permanent stays, I fear the AI would screw up. It needs to have a place it belongs to.
There probably needs to be an interface where you make these decisions for it. This interface should include outposts on both the local and the global map as well.
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby Viken » 25 Jan 2011 06:26

The way I see it, the solution is rather obvious; atleast in theory. The name of the game is 'Conlan's Claim'... So why not set up the area as a 'claim' system for the leader of the group you are sending out to explore and recon/survey that specific region? It could be set up as a land-grab, starting off, and if anything of value is found then you can buy the land back from the individual or family, as the case may be, or otherwise let them set it up as their own residence, or as the basis around to start a business, as the AI should.

You mark out the point and the dementions, and then you get an interface that allows you to designate the laws of the claim, as well as send aid or to request resources for the rest of the colony, as the case may be.

Just some food for thought, there.
"Why point and laugh when you can point and click? It makes things much more interesting...
Viken

Postby Taricus » 25 Jan 2011 07:32

kubluu wrote:
Taricus wrote:

Yes, they should be able to equip themselves suitably, with tools, weapons and also supplies. This is good for the shorter term, and can be handled by the AI.

For more permanent stays, I fear the AI would screw up. It needs to have a place it belongs to.
There probably needs to be an interface where you make these decisions for it. This interface should include outposts on both the local and the global map as well.

You might be able to attch a residence to a distant building (let's say a mining rig) the colonist would accept that as a temporary shelter until another worker take his/her place,
though it may require a vehicle or a ridable animal.

Viken wrote:The way I see it, the solution is rather obvious; atleast in theory. The name of the game is 'Conlan's Claim'... So why not set up the area as a 'claim' system for the leader of the group you are sending out to explore and recon/survey that specific region? It could be set up as a land-grab, starting off, and if anything of value is found then you can buy the land back from the individual or family, as the case may be, or otherwise let them set it up as their own residence, or as the basis around to start a business, as the AI should.

You mark out the point and the dementions, and then you get an interface that allows you to designate the laws of the claim, as well as send aid or to request resources for the rest of the colony, as the case may be.

Just some food for thought, there.

In theory, that sounds good but we aren't able to directly control the colonists nor will the colonists stray too far without a task assigned by the player, the colonist will clear land for private use but there isn't much of an economy (in terms of monetary goods) so they won't start businesses and they will build their own homes near each other as the wildlife probably starts off hostile and thus meaning that the colonists are safer together.
Taricus

Next

Return to General Discussion