Few questions on the colony

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Few questions on the colony

Postby ScriptWolf » 02 Feb 2011 11:19

Just a few questions on what your colony will do and how it will make it's self better

People: how will people be brought to your colony when it gets set up will more immigrate there after so long? And will families be raised by your current colonists and will families be feasible in this game?, will your colony be able to support generations of colonists when you spend days of gameplays on it. will colonists have their own personalitys and querks?. And will your colonists have relationships with the other colonists as time goes on ? So one colonist can hold a grudge and if that becomes severe enough they could try killing eachover?  

In your info section on your main page you said about your colonists owning and setting up business and owning there own shops and other stuff and add to your colonys economy can you expand on this and add to how people set up their own Buisness and what sort of things can and will be set up?. Also how far along with your colony go? Is it possible for it to become a sprawling city or will it stay sort of smallish.

Also your townies can own thing and houses. What sort of other things will they and and I take it then when shops are set up they will start buying cars and guns and many other things from the stores set up?. And over time the people who have built a house will they aim to make it better the more resources are available to them? 

Crime: will crimes be commited by your colonists ? And is so will there be some sort of police system which can be set up by the player or will it be vigilantes.

religion and factions : will there be religion in here so you colonists can follow a religion and this may cause conflict within your colony? 

And will factions be set up? ( think kinda like the Tropico factions) where you have your workers and other few factions and try to get there support and keep them happy. 

and finally I keep the Bay12 thread updated with any scraps of info you give us. So is there anything you wish to add any exciting features or something which can happen which has not been talked about yet? 
ScriptWolf

Re: Few questions on the colony

Postby kubluu » 02 Feb 2011 22:22

Except for the religions and factions perhaps, I think all of the things you mention should be in the game, because they will make it deeper and more enjoyable. And also they are things that I would like to design.

I don't know how factions worked in Tropico, but if I were to include something like that, I think I would like a more simulation-oriented design more than a scripted one (with a programmed list of possible factions). But I imagine it will be tricky to design and get right. It is probably hard for an AI to form political opinions. But I haven't thought about it.
I don't have ideas for religions either. I am not sure they would fit with the world too good... though perhaps culture could be a factor in the game.

People will like/dislike/hate each other in the game. They will also like or dislike your "collective" which is how you get people to work for you when you don't have money to pay them with.

Crime will probably need to be in there to give the player something to worry about. But how would police and justice work... I haven't worked this out yet. I think it would be cool if the player cannot use his omniscience/omnipotence to quickly catch the criminals.
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby Taricus » 03 Feb 2011 06:04

Just a question about loyalty, how would we get colonists to gain it?
Taricus

Postby kubluu » 03 Feb 2011 10:49

Taricus wrote:Just a question about loyalty, how would we get colonists to gain it?

It hasn't been completely worked out, but possibly loyalty should be merged with the normal relations system.

It would most likely involve the specific goals of your operation, your success in pursuing them and the personality of the individuals.
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby Viken » 04 Feb 2011 06:36

If there is going to be crime, I think the most viable solution is to have a basic policing system. Once the colony gets a certain number of individuals living there, you'd have to assign a position to a person, say like a Sheriff or a Deputy; and then tag them with skills like Investigation or Forensics Sciences so they can figure out who has done what crime.

Punishment, on the other hand, should be left up to the Collective. Like how in the Wild West period of American History, punishments were either group-decided or by the most influencial member of the city/town. As a colony, the Collective should have the last call, and it could do any number of things; house arrest, taxing the guilty, putting them into some sort of solitary stockade or levying no penalty; which could raise the loyalty of the guilty person, but lower it for others who see the move as being too 'weak'.

All just suggestions, though, which I think would work out in the current design of the game. :mrgreen:
"Why point and laugh when you can point and click? It makes things much more interesting...
Viken

Postby kubluu » 04 Feb 2011 12:45

There probably needs to be central court for the whole world that assembles every so often to deal out judgement. Executing the judgements could then be left open to anyone.

To solve crimes and have justice done, the player would need to assign people and resources to gather evidence and present it to this court. After that he would be allowed to execute its judgement.

Maybe the player should also be allowed to create his own laws, which would only apply to those working for him or living on his land. The central court could then also judge here.
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby Viken » 05 Feb 2011 07:41

If you open it up like a set of policies that'll police everyone in the claim you control, that could work; and then the central court could also preceed on it, as sort of the 'jury', instead of the judge.
"Why point and laugh when you can point and click? It makes things much more interesting...
Viken

Return to General Discussion