First impressions

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

First impressions

Postby RAdam » 27 Mar 2014 00:41

Is there a zoom?
Storage hole seems to put items out of reach for building.
Report window is small. Or it doesnt scale with resolution?
What is the logic of placing "buildings", or where they cant be placed. The blue indicator is hard to see.
No saving?
RAdam

Re: First impressions

Postby Spiritwind » 27 Mar 2014 20:12

Saving is a planned feature.

As for placing buildings, it was rather aggravating to me as well, I could see no rhyme or reason to where I was able to place the current buildings, which could easily be a bug.

I felt like the Report window was too small as well, or rather the text proceeded too fast. At first I would try and read through, going back and whatnot - however when multiple colonists are talking, they seem to do so half a second after the other, so bam bam bam, the first message is out of the first page, and you eventually decide to not even bother reading it.
Spiritwind

Postby RAdam » 28 Mar 2014 11:28

Also more than once the character dropped the hunting rifle far away from the camp...
RAdam

Postby MoPed » 28 Mar 2014 18:05

Thank you for the input.
-About zoom, there's a discussion on the steam webpage (that you are already taking part in) - it can be put on our to-do list based on priority.
-Storage hole: Is there a bug where items in a storage hole become inaccessible? If this is the case, we must look at it.
-The report window size needs some improvements, we would like it to scale like the event log in the bottom.
-Building placement - it could be improved by having accessible areas light up with an overlay - we would like to improve this. This will also make the fences more valuable because then you'll see where the areas have been blocked off.
-If you have trouble seeing the blue indicator - do you have a suggestion for another color we should use?
-the dialogue frequency is something that I will tweak very soon - I'll try to aim for a steady, relaxed read speed
-the behavior when laying items and tools is something that we are tweaking continually - it deals with how the characters share their tools and shift jobs between them. You'll hopefully see them behaving more and more rationally, that's what we're aiming for.
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Postby RAdam » 29 Mar 2014 16:13

Ok seems there is no bug, maybe i just havent seen the other item that was needed for construction. The color difference is subtle sometimes.

Also there is no blue indicator for cooled chache. Tho i got more used to where things can be placed. Overlay option while building would be nice.

Also anoter thing, food indicator on overlay is too small or invisible due to something. I couldnt see anything while i had only food selected for overlay, but i still could find tubers or blackpulp with gather option. Should stand out more even with both options enaabled.

The game gas good mechanic, and content, tho interface is a bit clumsy atm.

Not to mention you could assign an icon for taskbar in windows. Atm is some default gamepad icon, which doesnt fir for a game.
RAdam

Postby Ambulatory Cortex » 29 Mar 2014 20:29

There needs to be some way to set priorities. I just had somebody die of starvation because they wouldn't cook the food they had gathered.
Ambulatory Cortex

Postby RAdam » 29 Mar 2014 21:25

There is a way to prioritize, open the menu right of the items menu on the bottom of the screen. there are all orders and their priority.
RAdam

Postby Ambulatory Cortex » 30 Mar 2014 01:05

RAdam wrote:There is a way to prioritize, open the menu right of the items menu on the bottom of the screen. there are all orders and their priority.

Huh, indeed there it is.

*Apologizes to Ward Conlan's next of kin.*
Ambulatory Cortex

Postby gabeux » 31 Mar 2014 06:47

I've been watching/lurking the game development for a looong time (wow, I posted about it on B12 Forums waay back in 2010, which brought you guys some traffic at that time :D).
The art and writing is just as awesome as I knew it would be.
My experience with the game was a bitty clumsy and buggy, but the great potential is easily noticeable. I was excited though to learn more about the story and the colonists, just got a bit overwhelmed by all those messages and quadites and then everybody died.
Anyway, I really like what I see and I wish you guys good luck on the bug hunts and development to come.

Oh, and I experienced no crashes. That's great :)

The bugs (or seemingly bugs) I ran into:
- UI can be optimized, for instance, when opening the inventory or selecting tiles, the game lags.
- Minor UI bugs when pausing/opening the menu - the "MAIN" button can stay pressed while the menu is closed and the game's on.
- Minor bug with music, it "inverts" so when you are paused the music plays, and when the game's on the music stops. [I think its after pausing and doing something in the main menu]
- Minor UI issue: when loading the game, the story texts has a disabled "Ok" button, making believe that the game's ready to go/frozen after clicking.
- There seems to be some issue when you start a game, play it, go back to the main menu and start another game. The second game gets very laggy/choppy which makes me believe that leaving a game doesn't cleanup properly.

And my suggestion in the feature-front is something that I'm sure it's planned, but it would be great if you guys could implement it if it's not much trouble:
- Save system - everyone seems to be crying about this. Of course, I believe it would be a lot of work to make the saves version-compatible with one another, so I doubt this should be a priority, unless making a simple save system that doesn't guarantee compatibility. A save system would be great for people to test stuff though, since in this stage crashing and resetting the game should be expected (it could happen :P)
- The priorization. An internal priorization on industries will guarantee that the AI doesn't act suicidal (gathering sticks instead of building a fireplace or getting/cooking food).
The manual priorization of tasks is good, but if all tasks got the same priorities set, they should prioritize survival. I think this needs priority so the player com focus on other things/testing the game instead of micromanaging survival on the current level.

I think that's it, I'm looking forward to your next builds, and I'm happy I finally tried the game out :)
gabeux

Postby MoPed » 31 Mar 2014 15:02

Nice to hear from you again! Hope we still have most of the DF players aboard after such a long time. We'll have a look at your bug report and go through the list.
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Next

Return to General Discussion