Distribution, Kickstarter and Procedural Worlds

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Distribution, Kickstarter and Procedural Worlds

Postby Azazel » 01 Feb 2013 19:57

Hey guys,

I have a few questions I wanted to ask.

1) Have you guys look at distribution yet? Are you guys thinking of starting a Steam Greenlight or using Desura for marketing/distribution.

2) Kickstarter, being the new fad it is, could help fund your project and allow you to get a few more hands working on the game. What are your thoughts on having a Kickstarter and why would you be for or against it?

3) You mentioned in the RPS article that you aren't initially going to do procedural generated worlds. How do you think this will ultimately effect gameplay? Most management/sim games I've played over years have had quite a few random/procedurally generated elements to keep the game, keeping it fresh over time. It can dramatically increase replayability.
Azazel

Re: Distribution, Kickstarter and Procedural Worlds

Postby Viken » 03 Feb 2013 15:20

I doubt they are going to do a kickstarter. They went through all the work to do a technical demo, and won funding in the form of a grant from the Nordic Game Program. They've already been working on it full time sinse about about May of last year, I do believe.
"Why point and laugh when you can point and click? It makes things much more interesting...
Viken

Postby MoPed » 07 Feb 2013 16:51

Hi,

1) Distribution could very well be through the Desura/ Indiedb / Moddb channel as well as our own website and eventually Steam if we can get through Greenlight. There are many other distribution channels also, but obviously, Steam is the most popular.

2) It's true that we have got the funding to make a playable demo. - but afterwards, we could use Kickstarter to fund the next episodes/expansions.

3)We started down the hand-made route instead of the procedural to be able to achieve the look we wanted. However, it's not a case of either/or. We would like to incorporate procedural elements in the game as long as it doesn't hurt the look. We could start by making computer generated content which modders could then give the final touch - for example, maps with computer generated shorelines and coasts, where the modder uses our map editor to place forests and resources. So, dedicated modders will be very valuable until we have developed procedural systems.
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Postby Azazel » 12 Feb 2013 18:21

Thanks a lot for the response, most appreciated.

If you put this on kickstarter, it's something I would most definitely back.
Azazel

Postby DracoGriffin » 16 Jan 2014 11:12

Any chance someone is working on getting onto Steam Greenlight? Considering some of the games that come through my queue; this could be considered a triple AAA title.
DracoGriffin

Postby MoPed » 17 Jan 2014 13:29

Yes, we have an alpha gameplay trailer ready so we can start on Greenlight now.
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Postby DracoGriffin » 17 Jan 2014 19:16

Here, take my money!

Well, my vote.

edit:

I should probably add another way for exposure through Greenlight: once you begin offering Early Access for Alpha or Beta testing, start a Steam Giveaway @ http://www.steamgifts.com/ . There's been quite a few games I've purchased either through Developer offering giveaways for another game as they ask for up votes on Greenlight (Example) or other people offering giveaways to games I haven't seen/heard of (Example 1 & Example 2)
DracoGriffin

Postby ScriptWolf » 04 Feb 2014 10:03

I really think you should do a kickstarter at some point. Your game is at a stage to show off and you have gameplay, that's what makes the difference in a kickstarter I think. But also with the amount of publicity kickstarter projects get now it would also be the perfect platform to show off your game on.

I say this mostly cause I want to throw wads of money at you :P
ScriptWolf

Return to General Discussion