Flora/Fauna/Nature -Ideas and Concepts Thread

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Re: Flora/Fauna/Nature -Ideas and Concepts Thread

Postby DMC RU » 01 Apr 2014 14:35

Hello!
I think it will be interesting for you
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pQFGmTiNq9U
You can take a few ideas wildlife.
Recently bought your game in Steam. Very interesting. Constantly losing part the helicopter. What am I doing wrong? I can not understand.
DMC RU

Postby MoPed » 01 Apr 2014 15:31

Spiritwind wrote:One thing I love that I can see in the Early Access Demo is that you guys are keeping things interesting, without becoming cheesy like many developers do while thinking up new 'Creatures'.

Thanks! Yes, it is very challenging, because we're juggling many balls: scientific accuracy, fun gameplay, nice to look at... Will be interested to hear your ideas.
To get inspired, there are blogs and website that I admire a lot, often made by biologists. For example:
http://www.planetfuraha.org/
blog: http://planetfuraha.blogspot.dk/
and
https://sites.google.com/site/projectnereus/home

These are so detailed and well-made that our stuff just pales in comparison! But then, they don't have to worry about gameplay.
We have a 3 meter tall, upright animal, called a Patrician.(You can see it in teaser 2# 2013) It's covered in exoskeleton. But the creator of "Furaha", in one of his blog posts, explains why plated creatures are always close to the ground and slow-moving...it is of course because of the risk of smashing the shell when they fall over or collide at high speed. Many things to consider when making flora and fauna!
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Postby MoPed » 01 Apr 2014 16:36

DMC RU wrote:Hello!
Recently bought your game in Steam. Very interesting. Constantly losing part the helicopter. What am I doing wrong? I can not understand.

Great animation - never seen that before.
I'm not sure what the problem is that you're describing...we recently fixed a bug where items would disappear completely when they were out of sight. Is it that one? That has been fixed now.
MoPed

Postby DMC RU » 01 Apr 2014 20:44

MoPed wrote:
DMC RU wrote:Hello!

Great animation - never seen that before.
I'm not sure what the problem is that you're describing...we recently fixed a bug where items would disappear completely when they were out of sight. Is it that one? That has been fixed now.

During the game I get message: "Our long wait is over! We've been found. An RM-22 aircraft is setting down. Cannot wait to leave this place!". I can choose: EXIT SCENARIO or CONTINUE PLAYING. What I am doing wrong?
DMC RU

Postby MoPed » 02 Apr 2014 10:37

DMC RU wrote:During the game I get message: "Our long wait is over! We've been found. An RM-22 aircraft is setting down. Cannot wait to leave this place!". I can choose: EXIT SCENARIO or CONTINUE PLAYING. What I am doing wrong?

Nothing wrong, it means that you won the scenario - You can then choose to go back to main menu or continue playing for fun.
MoPed

Postby DMC RU » 02 Apr 2014 15:10

MoPed wrote:
DMC RU wrote:During the game I get message: "Our long wait is over! We've been found. An RM-22 aircraft is setting down. Cannot wait to leave this place!". I can choose: EXIT SCENARIO or CONTINUE PLAYING. What I am doing wrong?

Nothing wrong, it means that you won the scenario - You can then choose to go back to main menu or continue playing for fun.

Oh! It's finally? Very quickly. When a sequel?:) Will there be Russian language?
I can help with translation. Let me know if it's interesting for you!
DMC RU

Postby AstronauticalFerret » 17 Jul 2014 11:23

Not sure if you guys are still accepting ideas and concepts of flora/fauna. If so I hope you enjoy this. It's been on my mind for a while since I've been taking classes in botany and studying concepts of what extra terrestrial flora would be like depending on other worlds like Kepler186f (If somehow humans guessed right about it..) The plant below would have different uses for both survival and research so I felt it would be a good concept for the game.

Progress Report for Hc-L01

Hydrocapilaria Luminicent - (Glowing Fountain)

A species of terrestrial plant life normally found in desert regions that stand between one hundred to one fifty centimeters tall. The plant is encased in a harsh bark like exterior with small veins that protrude from the base and the dig back into the planet at the top. The veins are full of a bio-luminecient fluids that has a high concentration of Hydrogen two parts to one part oxygen. The water gives off this glow due to a chemical reaction between the oxygen and in the water once mixed with luciferin which combines with oxygen to form an inactive molecule called oxyluciferin. The oxyluciferin then mixes with adenosine monophosphate to give off the faint yellow glow. Much in the same what that fire flies light up back on earth. Only thing is however is that these are plants that give a constant glow. We are still unsure how the plant forms it's own ATP however. More studies will be funded.

Shaped like a light bulb sticking bulb head up, the roots of this plant are thick and long grown tubes that reach anywhere from twenty to fifty feet to find water in geothermic springs under the desert. The plants utilizing a heart like core pumps water up from the springs and converts it into pure oxygen, essentially feeding on the hydrogen alone. The plant slowly releases the oxygen through pores that tunnel from the core or "heart" of the plant to the surface to be released along with excess water which is also purified. Due to the purity of the oxygen the plant is very flammable and will ignite. Due to the internal design of the plant however it will not explode, instead it just burns itself to death and catches anything around it on fire. Once the plant dies it stops pumping water and will eventually become useless.

(I suck at drawing. So the best I can do for a picture is shoot you the wiki to here http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stromatolite and of course this. Skip to 16:50 to see what I mean if you're interested in the idea.)
Last edited by AstronauticalFerret on 29 Jul 2014 12:30, edited 1 time in total.
AstronauticalFerret

Postby MoPed » 29 Jul 2014 12:15

@AstronauticalFerret
Wow - I like the scientific approach, we need more like this. I've sent you an email :)
MoPed

Postby AstronauticalFerret » 29 Jul 2014 12:36

MoPed wrote:@AstronauticalFerret
Wow - I like the scientific approach, we need more like this. I've sent you an email :)

Roger that, I will check my inbox and see what you've got me to read. :)
AstronauticalFerret

Postby General Iroh » 07 Sep 2014 17:33

Flora Report

(Species 26 A and B)

Detailed scans and sketches are in the attached data packet tagged to the report. I have started a week and a halve ago on Species 26 in my given area near camp. Species 26 is a remarkably beautifle plant. It has colorfull thick petals, a deep and hollow area simular to a pitcher plant, but not as wide or open. There is nectar that pools at the base that attracts a number a insects. This hollow area ends on a sturdy stem that holds this remarkable plant upright.The debate is ongoing as to wheather or not it's a pleasant smell. I stand alone believing it is rather nice. It is sometimes a lonely journey being a outspoken scientist sometimes.

I noticed that as some of the insects, which seem to mostly come from the muckroot biome, get stuck on patches on the inside of the side walls about a quarter of the way down from the top. They are able to free themselves with a little work, and continue on the way down to the nectar. This sticky substance is a type of pollen/spore gell. Simular to the antlers atop filamen on flowers from earth. I thought this a rather unique data point, so I mentally filed this in my mind as such. To hopefully expound upon later.

I didn't have to wait to much longer to find my intrest peaked by my next discovery! There about half way down the hollow pitcher tube I found another plant living in the side walls of 26! I have for the time being named species 26 to 26 A, and this new plant 26 B. It seems as though this plant is a carnivorous plant. It captures unlucky insects and pulls them into it's mouth to begin leaching them of their nutrients. These unlucky ones are only partially leached in the process. They are carried through 26 B through the side wall of 26 A in the process to be dropped to the ground some time later. After my excitment died down a bit, I noticed something else about this process. I begain to focus again noticing that there was a soft egg/seed like growth on a filamen coming from 26 B's own body. The sticky pollen/spore like gel would grab these soft egg/seeds and be swollowed along with the bug! I notice on the insects on the ground that they had a hardened seed case that was bonded quite well to the insects exoskeletal system. Which lead me to believe the seeds were hardened and cured to the bug during the leaching process some how. Note: Further research to be done later on this process. May lead to natural glue, or process to create a stronger glue. Will have to exam this potiential later.

During this time discovering the inner working to 26 B, I had observed and logged another organism that soly scavenged these partially leached bugs. I have found this to be Species 29 from the list given to me to examine my area near camp. Species 29 is from the muckroot biome, and must return there after a given period. However, it does feircly protect it own feeding ground around 26 A from others of it's kind, and scares off a number of other very small organisms that would feed on 26 A and B. The seeds are eaten along with bugs that make up it's sole diet. Which reminds me of some of our team who complain about doing certain tasks, and seem to eat what others gather to cook. Though when we first arrived even they defended everyone when the native wildlife started to attack our camp. I will have to yeild my outburst on this report to stress everyone is feeling from us colinizing this planet, and for those of us who have lost loved ones in the first exploration mission. I never understood why the programmers made it where we could not delete what we type into our documents. I guess I do now. So, somebody can see what we all are feeling. This my prevent some of us from staping later when we might not be able to take it any more. I hope we get up and running soon so it this doesn't happen to anybody. Let's get back to the report shale we.

The seeds eatin by Species 29 are unaffected in a negative way. They are positivly effected by being given a temporary boost to it's immune system. It's givin a booster against disease/fungus/parisites/etc. Wheather or not this is linked to the seed being activated in this process is still unknown. Other seeds bonded to the leached bugs do not grow if eatin by other organism or left on the ground forgotten. As one might expect from having a higher immune system, 26 A also appears to be significantly healthier for the duration it has this booster. We might be able to create a early medice form studing these seeds to be a antibiotic/antifungucide/antiparicitic/etc. Though these break throughs might have to be discovered independantly due to the time needed. We might need to be give exam orders for these treaments to develope, and then give our reports before the new break throughs are able to be administered. (This could be like the crystal berries. The seeds from 26 A and B are given an exam order, and a random treatment or a disired treatment is opened up after the report is given later.)

This booster might effect 26 B from forming earlier, or it might just be delayed to prevent the fight for nutrients in early growth. 26 B does not appear until this booster is wearing off, or completly gone. The appearance of 26 B is remarable in that 26 A does produce these new growths that develope into 26 B. 26 B is now it's own organism and independant. I resides in 26 A untill they die.

Life cycle of Species 26 A and B:

* Host plant 26 A produces aroma that draws in insects.

* Insects pick up the sicky pollen/spore gell on the way to eat the flowers nectar.

* Some of the insects pick up soft egg like seed that is attachted to a filamen of the second plant, 26 B. The seed and pollen begin to combine their genitic code.

* 26 B then captures an insect to be drawn into itself.

* These unlucky few are then leached of some of the nutrients in their bodies.

* The seed is hardened, and the sticky pollen is cured by this process. This will protect the seed and bond it to the partially leached insect for the next phase of it's journey.

* After a period of time passing through 26 B the bug has passed through the side wall of 26 A to be dropped to the ground.

* These bonded seeds are then inadvertatly eaten by a bigger organism that sololy scavenges these insects as their diet. These bigger organisms, Species 29 on my list for this sector, play a crutial role for 26 A's and B's life cycle.

* The seeds passing through are untouched by 29's digetive process in a negative way. The positive effect is a type of tempory resistance to diseases/fungus/paricites/etc. added to 26 A's growth cycle.

* This leads to a very healthy plant that I have seen matures fast in my experiments and with very few of them sucumming to desease/fungus/paricites/etc. till later on in life when the booster has been gone about a month or two.

* The booster wears off and 26 B is grown by 26 A in the side walls of 26 A.

* 26 B becomes and indipendant organism.

* Nectar is produced to attracte insects, and the cycle repeats.

Research options from 26 A and B:

* The cureing process of the seed to the bug could be a option to examine the glue we can make from the resine of muckroot, and develope a process to make a much stronger glue.

* We could derive a medicne to help us develope a early medice to boost our immune system to this worlds alien enviroment. Some of us are bound to catch something, so I have sent my thoughts and data over to the other team to look into. (This could be a early immunity booster/antibiotic/fungucide/antiparicite medicne. This could be given it's own exam order for the whole treatments to open up, or new exam orders for each type of treaments? Maybe simular to the crystal berries offering energy, but you need to reseach/examine order this discovery?)

[Data Packet] 1.76 GB Estimated Load Speed: 4 seconds
General Iroh

PreviousNext

Return to General Discussion