Is the Survival demo release estimate still valid?

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Re: Is the Survival demo release estimate still valid?

Postby Macaw » 09 Oct 2013 04:55

Yeah this is still the game I am most excited for, any new info would be great.
Macaw

Postby MoPed » 10 Oct 2013 15:41

Thanks for keeping an eye on us. The game is now shaping up rather nicely. It only recently became playable in an actually "fun" way! ...I've read that this is often the case with simulation games. Something that we've focused a lot on is making the characters appear alive and intelligent, this has taken quite some work, and to be honest, a few months ago it looked like a pipe dream - but we are now close to achieving this. It's the main reason why the game got delayed...but we needed to put a lot of effort in this because we're trying to make a realistic story about scientists and astronauts...this sets the bar rather high.

So we've been able to play the game in a reasonable way for about 3 weeks now. However, it's only been played by us, the developers, because the interface needs some improvements for the game to be understandable. Especially the crafting menu is quite confusing. We also have had optimization issues and find bugs all the time, and want to get rid of more of them.
When these things have been dealt with, we will start having internal testers in the office, then allow more secretly invited testers from the internet and at some point decide that it is "good enough" for the "alpha-savvy" gamers out there.
So, I'd say we need at least a month before it can be released.

Obviously, it's hard for us to say that the game is "good enough" because we focus on all the stuff that doesn't work yet. And since it's easy for us to find bugs and functionality problems ourselves, we don't want to be overwhelmed with bug reports and suggestions from players before we have consolidated the many half-implemented features that are in the game.

That said, we would like to start getting some pre-buy cash flow soon, and we are committed to the idea of releasing the demo before it's perfectly polished. For example, we will leave the interface in a "functional but ugly placeholder" state for now and also postpone the complete sound design.

Something which has helped a lot is that we recently got 2 more programmers on the team, this will speed up things from now on.
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Postby Macaw » 13 Oct 2013 04:38

Thanks for the info, sounds like its shaping up well!
Macaw

Postby Ribes » 13 Oct 2013 12:36

Take all the time you need. I'm just happy with being kept up to date on the game's progress.
Ribes

Postby Aatch » 03 Nov 2013 01:14

Could I suggest updating the FAQ to reflect the delayed demo release? It currently says Sept/Oct 2013. Given we are now in November and this is (from what I can tell) the second time the estimate has been pushed back, can I recommend a more vague estimate? Say "early 2014" or something to that nature?
Aatch

Postby Truthowl » 05 Nov 2013 08:24

Aatch wrote:Could I suggest updating the FAQ to reflect the delayed demo release? It currently says Sept/Oct 2013. Given we are now in November and this is (from what I can tell) the second time the estimate has been pushed back, can I recommend a more vague estimate? Say "early 2014" or something to that nature?

No Aatch. I'd much rather an offered deadline be missed, and us updated about it. Long silences scare me. Vague timelines do too. I'd much prefer to be told it'll be out next week. Then next week be told whats been happening and that it'll be delayed another week, or two. In fact calling it a 'Deadline' in my opinion brings to much finality to the thought. Call it a goal, or expected time frame.

Moped, don't worry about taking time. We'll wait. But just for your info, you can release it for us to gnaw on. We have a community portal. If we have troubles we can talk among ourselves. You, the developers, can read what we're saying and respond when and if you feel like it. As long as we get the occasional tid-bit of info and the occasional 'patch' we'd be happy, or I would. Plus, tracking down bugs can be difficult at times, I know. If we the community are talking to each other about things we're having trouble with, well, one of them might be something you, the developers, didn't know about. It can happen that such an insight can lead to a quicker resolution to those particular bugs.

As for the confusing parts of crafting or other things. You could have Capsup or someone do a quick 2-5 minute LP(Let's Play) youtube video.

Then again, you don't have to do any of that. lol Like i said I'm patiently waiting and will continue to. But it'd be nice to sate my vast apatite a little. :D
Truthowl

Postby RAdam » 07 Nov 2013 13:13

Well at least throw a bone to chew on. If you want to eventually go on kickstarter or some such it might be good to get some publicity before then.

Was there ever an alpha test or is everyone under NDA? :)
RAdam

Postby Macaw » 20 Nov 2013 01:21

I just noticed the new news post. So excited!
Macaw

Postby MoPed » 20 Nov 2013 11:36

Yeah, this time, you'll notice I didn't put a specific estimate for the release....but don't let that worry you, it doesn't mean that the game has stopped progressing..only means that we've finally realised that we are terrible at estimating time frames! So, for now, I'll just use the word "soon".....I like its vagueness. (if we cross that deadline, I'll make a new one, called "soon-ish" ...and after that: soon-ish-ish ;) )
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Previous

Return to General Discussion