Pay to play or freeware

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Pay to play or freeware

Postby ScriptWolf » 20 Dec 2010 02:04

i know its really early, maybe to early to talk about this but did you have any ideas if the game was gonna be free and stay free, or is it going to cost when it was finished?
ScriptWolf

Re: Pay to play or freeware

Postby kubluu » 20 Dec 2010 11:26

Hi,
It was never meant to be a free game. But we haven't yet decided how it will be sold. Most likely it will be payment to download, with a rebate on future "sequels".
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby Moogie » 20 Dec 2010 16:56

kubluu wrote:Hi,
It was never meant to be a free game. But we haven't yet decided how it will be sold. Most likely it will be payment to download, with a rebate on future "sequels".

This makes sense to me. You should also at some point brainstorm ideas to discourage piracy, as that will be something you'll obviously have to consider with the pay-to-download model. I don't mean DRM -- as that, more often than not, encourages it -- but perhaps added perks that are rewarded only to verifiable customers. Like you mentioned, rebates on future expansions or sequels is one very good idea. More ideas along those lines will be beneficial for you in the long run, I think.

In any case, keep up the good work! I'm already very interested in the potential this project is showing. Keep on in the direction you're going and you've got at least one guaranteed customer already. ;)
Moogie

Postby Labs » 20 Dec 2010 21:20

This game looks good enough already that I'd pay for it. Definitely a lot of potential.
Labs

Postby SHAD0Wdump » 20 Dec 2010 21:59

Looks like I'm going to have to drop some more money into the paypal for this. (you better be accepting that stuff too)

Seriously, this game looks like it's got potential right up there with Minecraft back in the first public builds. If not more.
SHAD0Wdump

Postby ScriptWolf » 31 Dec 2010 19:12

minecraft??!! bleah overrated junk :P i think this game will be up there with Dwarf fortress and the other so so very popular indie games!, they just need to get more work done on the game, and i second the paypal thing i wish there was a alpha out already, i would pay to play that so much!!!
ScriptWolf

Postby ScriptWolf » 31 Dec 2010 19:13

minecraft??!! bleah overrated junk :P i think this game will be up there with Dwarf fortress and the other so so very popular indie games!, they just need to get more work done on the game, and i second the paypal thing i wish there was a alpha out already, i would pay to play that so much!!!
ScriptWolf

Postby forsaken1111 » 01 Jan 2011 06:53

ScriptWolf wrote:minecraft??!! bleah overrated junk :P i think this game will be up there with Dwarf fortress and the other so so very popular indie games!, they just need to get more work done on the game, and i second the paypal thing i wish there was a alpha out already, i would pay to play that so much!!!

I have to agree, minecraft isn't half the game this looks to be.
forsaken1111

Postby RichardtheBeheader » 01 Jan 2011 18:22

While Conlan's Claim looks promising I don't think it can be said to be better than minecraft considering that both games are in 2 completely different genres, the only similarity might be in the survival aspect of it perhaps.

Minecraft is so popular for the creativity it allows a person to express, some of the creations that people have made are truly amazing and anybody of any age can play it without too much difficulty. Conlan's Claim however is a different game in itself, it'll attract an entirely different crowd of people and I doubt it will attract as many people as minecraft to be honest due to the large range of people that minecraft attracts. I'm not saying one game is better than the other but they are different types of games and one might appeal to someone more than the other, of course a minecraft player might play both games.

I am equally interested in both games, maybe more so in Conlan's Claim as it hasn't be released yet and I don't know what to expect really. In summary I don't think Conlan's Claim will overtake the few hundred thousand people that bought Minecraft, I just think minecraft appeals to a larger group of people.
RichardtheBeheader

Postby forsaken1111 » 02 Jan 2011 14:37

I'll just say that high sales doesn't denote a good game, just one that appeals to the masses. Minecraft is dreadfully boring to me, but then I was never a fan of legos either which is essentially the same thing. I require thought and complexity to my games, which Conlan's Claim looks to provide.
forsaken1111

Next

Return to General Discussion