Pay to play or freeware

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Re: Pay to play or freeware

Postby pnx » 10 Jan 2011 22:14

Marketing games (at least indie games) is actually an issue that I'm very interested in.
Pricing is the biggest and toughest issue, price it too high and you don't sell enough copies, price it too low and you don't make enough money from the copies. Generally speaking $20 seems to be the standard price for an indie game, but people seem to have more success pricing themselves lower (at $15 or $10), but you get more money if you price at $20 and putting the game on sale for $10 for a week or two.
That works out because it encourages people to take an interest sooner rather than later.

I've been meaning to try to put together some of the statistics that are available at some point, but I just can't be asked really.
pnx

Re: Pay to play or freeware

Postby RichardtheBeheader » 11 Jan 2011 01:41

I find this guy http://positech.co.uk/cliffsblog/ to be incredibly insightful.

He is the one man behind Gratuitous Space Battles and Democracy 2, he writes on his blog about his game and marketing strategies including what he does about advertising and the price of his game, including what he thinks about piracy and everything in between. He talked about Google analytics (I think it's called that) and how many people visit his site in each month etc.

It's interesting to see all the ins and outs of it and his GSB is a class game. It's a good way to see how a one man indie developer works and gets the most out of his game :)
RichardtheBeheader

Previous

Return to General Discussion