Map Generation - Food for Thought

You can read past comments related to "Unclaimed World" but you cannot post new, because we have locked it for now to save time on moderation. Instead we encourage you to go to our Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/

Re: Map Generation - Food for Thought

Postby Rowanas » 10 Feb 2013 02:03

Unfortunately, games with random maps can cause an awful lot of aggravation as well. I can regen 10-20-30 dwarf fortress worlds before I get one I'm happy with, and if I only know if I'm happy with a world after 4 hours+ invested in it, that'd irritate me pretty badly. That said, I'm a sucker for procedurally generated everything, and it really would be awesome, eveni f it does mean that sometimes you end up screwed.
Rowanas

Postby drfish » 11 Feb 2013 16:48

So excited about this game! Read Legacy of Heorot over the weekend and started Beowulf's Children last night. ;)

Anyway, the lack of randomly/procedurally generated maps really bummed me out at first - but after reading how maps can be made from PNGs I'm much less concerned. I think the community will be more than up to the task of working from that starting point, I remember making maps for SimCity 3000 from bitmaps of USGS data back in the day, before you know it we'll have maps based on real terrain and even terrain from the moon and mars and beyond to play on. I'm also really excited that some Minecraft style "survival island" maps are sure to be produced with their own unique challenges carefully crafted by players looking for more difficulty or to create new play options.

Be sure to let me know when I can give you my money. ;)
drfish

Postby kubluu » 13 Feb 2013 20:27

drfish wrote:So excited about this game! Read Legacy of Heorot over the weekend and started Beowulf's Children last night. ;)

The first one is really good, but I didn't care too much for the sequel. I prefer Destiny's Road by the same author... it has more atmosphere.
kubluu
Site Admin

Postby monstergigan » 19 Feb 2014 03:41

Yes I would love procedural generation!
Or a Third party generation program. I would not want to place the fauna manually, to me this seems pointless...
I'd also pay for procedural generation in expansion pack form.
monstergigan

Previous

Return to General Discussion