[Feedback] Combat Behaviour Hilarity (pic attached)

We've locked this forum to save time on moderation and encourage you to post any bug reports to the Steam forum http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/discussions/2/
or send us an email.

[Feedback] Combat Behaviour Hilarity (pic attached)

Postby madpluck » 29 Mar 2014 00:03

Sooooo one of my guys is going on a hunting mission. He grabs the rifle and ammo and heads out, stupidly pathing through a quadite nest. Upon seeing two quadites, he immediately turns around, DROPS THE RIFLE, and heads back to camp to grab a stick to fight with...
Love the game, just thought I would show you what kind of combat behaviour improvements needed to be made.
Obviously the screenshot would be bigger but the maximum file size is 256KB sooo
Attachments
unclaimedworld-screencap.png
unclaimedworld-screencap.png (94.32 KiB) Viewed 3842 times
madpluck

Re: [Feedback] Combat Behaviour Hilarity (pic attached)

Postby MoPed » 01 Apr 2014 12:37

Thanks!
There is a slight chance that a character will drop the weapon in panic, but we may reduce this - however, I'm not even sure if that's what happened here...
We want to do some weapons handling improvements, since we can see that the characters ought to be more more focused on keeping a weapon on them. There's another discussion about this issue here: http://steamcommunity.com/app/284100/di ... 035771057/
Combat has a high priority, we want it to look realistic.

About the pathing through the nest problem - we are aware that it may be annoying/unrealistic that they walk right through a dangerous area - we want to improve this - the basic challenge we have to fix is that sometimes, the player will want them to approach the nest (for smoke bombing) so we need to make some code that takes this into account.
Artist on "Unclaimed World"
MoPed

Postby madpluck » 01 Apr 2014 21:27

Well that's fair. I was trying to get around the nest so I could get to the sulphur deposit - it seems like that nest is particularly unfortunately located since you can't really get around it to get to the nearest sulphur deposit (I've found).
As for combat, it was definitely that he saw the twinklers, dropped all his weapons, and then I watched him sprint back to camp to pick up a different crude spear - good planning! So I don't think it was panic. I'm seeing them do the same thing even in 0.4; they drop their weapons, run to camp, and pick up a different weapon. There's no stumbling or anything in their behaviour that would make it look like panic, just direct pathing.
madpluck

Postby madpluck » 01 Apr 2014 21:28

In order to keep a weapon on them, I'm using "hunt" instead of "scout" on the edge of the FoW but yeah...it seems like since the -whole- reason they crashed in the first place was quadites, they would keep a knife or spear on them no matter what they were doing?
madpluck

Return to Bugs and technical issues